Being A Disciple Of Jesus
“Now when Jesus saw great multitudes about him, he gave commandment to depart unto the other side. And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest. And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head. And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.” Matthew 8:18-22 (KJV).
ANY DESIRE FOR POPULARITY MUST BE DEALT WITH (v. 18).
* Jesus had no desire for popularity, nor should His disciples.
* The false teachers and preachers love the praises and accolades of crowds they draw by their showmanship, and “Miracles”.
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE FOR MATERIAL SECURITY – NO PLACE TO LAY YOUR HEAD – NO PROMISE OF COMFORT (vv. 19-20).
* Jesus knows the hearts of all men, and He knew the heart of this scribe, just as He knows yours and mine.
* We never hear of this man again – he is only known and remembered as “A certain scribe”, though as some kind of parable or illustration.
THERE CAN BE NO LINGERING, WAITING FOR YOUR EARTLY INHERITANCE (v. 21).
* Burying his father was not the idea, because his father was not dead, it is the inheritance that was on his mind, and that responsibility.
* We can be faithful disciples of Jesus when we disciple our families into Christ.
* The follower of Jesus Christ taking the responsibility to see that his/her family comes to Christ is the greatest achievement of that disciple.
THE COST FOR BEING A DISCIPLE OF JESUS CHRIST IS VALUING THE ETERNAL OVER THE TEMPORAL (v. 22).
* If you determine that following Jesus is too costly, then you will lose everything ( “He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it” Matthew 10:39).
* The life of the follower of Jesus Christ is a crucified life – “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me” Gal 2:20 (KJV).
* It would be more beneficial for the questioning disciple to follow Jesus; for then, there is great possibility that his family will follow too.
-Tim A. Blankenship