The Rest of His Ministry
I. THE MINISTRY OF JESUS AT HIS FIRST COMING (Luke 4:18-19).
* + We are told by Scripture that Jesus came to do the will of God.
* + He did not come to be served, but to serve, He said, “and to give His life a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45).
* + In Jesus’s work and ministry He declared this is the time for salvation, “…The acceptable year of the LORD”. The apostle Paul wrote, “…now is the day of salvation”(2 Corinthians 6:2)
II. JESUS WARNS OF A TIME OF SPIRITUAL LAXNESS, DARKNESS, AND WORRIES OF LIFE (v. 34; 1 Timothy 4:1-4).
* + Can we as people get caught up in our everyday business, life, life pursuits, ballgames, vacations, etc., and not give a care about our spiritual well being?
* + The word “surfeiting” expresses along with the word “overcharged” over doing the food and drink; making gluttons and drunkards of one’s self.
* + I wonder if the apostle Paul did not have Jesus’s words here in mind when he wrote,
“But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.” 1 Thessalonians 5:4-5 (KJV)
III. THE WHOLE EARTH ENSNARED; NO ONE LEFT UNTOUCHED BY THIS EVIL (v. 35; Revelation 3:10; 11:10; 13:8 ).
* + This verse reminds me of these three verses in the Revelation of our Lord which say, “(Them, They, or All)that dwell upon the earth”, and Jesus is giving all plenty of warning of a time coming on earth where the “whole earth” will be ensnared in unrighteous, debauchery, loose living, drunkenness, and gluttonous acts.
* + Let it be understood that we are all visitors on this earth; meaning by that that we are all only here for a short time.
* + It seems very sure, that Jesus is telling all who heard Him speak the words, and all who would read these words in years to come, that only those whose hearts are dwelling on earth, making this a permanent home, are the one’s who will be ensnared.
IV. BEFORE IT COMES BE SURE YOU ARE COUNTED WORTHY TO ESCAPE THESE THINGS AND STAND BEFORE THE SON OF MAN (v. 36).
* + There is a way of escaping the traps of what is coming on this world, and that is that we “May be accounted worthy of escape”.
* + This is the work of God alone. (Ephesians 2:8-10; Titus 3:4-7).
* + No one can be accounted worthy to stand fully righteous and worthy, except by the cross of Jesus Christ; that is His death, His burial and His bodily resurrection from the dead.
V. AT THE APPEARING OF JESUS; HIS JUDGMENT; AND FOLLOWING (Isaiah 61:2-3ff).
* + “The day of vengeance of our God”, and Jesus never came in His incarnation to bring the wrath and judgment of God on sin.
* + He took the wrath that was ours upon Himself, that mankind might have a path, a bridge, a “narrow way” before the very throne, and the very face of God.
* + If you will take note of verse 3 above, when He comes again to earth, it will be to comfort those who mourn.
-Tim A. Blankenship