Exodus 4:1-17 – The Rod Of God
For forty years Moses had been away from Egypt, and probably thinking of his family and people back in Goshen. He probably has thought, “How will they ever be freed from that slavery, and their struggle; and maybe feeling like somewhat of a failure. God has been working, preparing Moses for a task; a great task that would be much larger than any man could do. Moses still needed to learn that with God all things are possible.
I. GOD USES US WITH WHAT HE FINDS IN OUR HANDS (vv. 1-2).
II. GOD IS THE ONE WHO GIVES THE POWER AND AUTHORITY OF THOSE WHO WILL OBEY HIM (vv. 3-9).
III. GOD IS THE ONE WHO FORMED THE MOUTH, THE EYES, THE EARS, AND GIVES THE POWER OF SIGHT AND SOUND (vv.10-13).
IV. GOD IS MERCIFUL AND STILL USES THE ONE WHO MAY DOUBT THEIR ABILITIES AND EMPOWERS OTHERS (vv. 14-17)
STUDY QUESTIONS –
1. God begins with what was in the ____________ of Moses. (vv. 1-2)
2. The rod which Moses used was probably a shepherd’s staff. True False
3. The rod can also be used for correction and be a… (v. 2)
A. …a ruler’s sceptor. B. …a magic wand.
C. …a cattle prod. D. …none of the above.
4. When Moses threw the rod on the ground the rod became a serpent and Moses fled from it. True False (v. 3)
5. God told Moses to pick up the ______________ by its ___________ . (v. 4)
6. The rod became a serpent, and his hand became leprous, and these would be for a _____________ to the people of ________________ to believe the _________ __________ of their fathers. (vv. 5-9)
7. Even after the LORD gave Moses these signs he has doubts with his own abilities, and uses the matter of his ______________ as an excuse for not obeying. (v. 10)
8. By God’s answer to Moses we see that God made the mouth, the mute, the deaf, the seeing and the blind. True False (vv. 11-12)
9. Moses tells God “Find someone else”. True False (v. 13)
10. God chooses _____________ to speak for Moses, and Moses will be the one who carries the __________, with which to do the signs. (vv. 14-17)
-Tim A. Blankenship