The LORD Separates – Exodus 9:1-12
There is much futility in fighting against the will of God. God has promised Moses to deliver Israel from the bondage of the Egyptians, and their slavery; but Pharoah is being obstinate against the direction of the LORD.
The LORD is showing Himself to be God to the Egyptians; and above the deities of Egypt; and also show Himself strong to Israel that He can and will deliver them.
I. THE PLAGUE UPON THE ANIMALS OF AND IN THE FIELD IS CALLED FOR (vv. 1-3).
II. THE LORD PROMISES TO SEPARATE THE ANIMALS OF EGYPT FROM THE ANIMALS OF ISRAEL (v. 4).
III. TO SHOW HIMSELF STRONG GOD DESIGNATES A CERTAIN TIME (v. 5).
V. THE LORD FULFILLS HIS WORD, AND PHAROAH’S HEART IS HARDENED (vv. 6-7).
VI. NO WARNING GIVEN TO PHAROAH FOR THE SIXTH PLAGUE (vv. 9-10).
VII. NO POWER IN THE MAGICIANS, AND GOD HARDENS PHAROAH’S HEART (vv. 11-12).
STUDY QUESTIONS –
1. Moses was instructed by God to go to Pharoah and command him to let the people go or there would be a plague on their __________ “in the _____________”. (v. 1)
2. God’s command through Moses was to “let the people go that they may serve Me”.(v. 1) True False
3. The LORD, in ______________ Egypt from Israel was showing that the judgment was only for Egypt; and showing Himself ______________. (vv. 2-4)
4. The LORD gives double assurance that the animals of the Israelites will not perish… (vv. 4, 6)
A. …making clear His miraculous power. B. …To assure Israel of His protection for them.
C. …and that Egypt will not be plagued anymore. D. Both A and B.
5. When the LORD says He is going to act, and perform, He never carries through with it. (vv. 5-6) True False
6. The Pharoah sent someone to _____________ on the cattle of Israel in the land of Goshen. (v. 7)
7. There is no warning to Pharoah concerning the sixth plague. (v. 8) True False
8. Ashes from a _______________ becomes the plague of boils and brings misery to the Egyptians, and the __________________. (vv. 9-11)
9. After this sixth plague, and Pharoah’s unbelief we are told… (v. 12)
A. …Pharoah hardened his heart. B. …Pharoah’s heart was hardened.
C. …the LORD hardened the heart of Pharoah. D. None of the above.
1. animals, field; 2. True; 3. separating, strong; 4. D; 5. False; 6. check; 7. True; 8. furnace, magicians; 9. C
-Tim A. Blankenship