Put Off, Put On, Put Away
I. THE CHRISTIAN LEARNS CHRIST (v. 20).
A. We already know the way we have left behind.
1. A life, road traveled, path of sin, stench, death, and destruction (Ephesians. 2:1).
2. A life that knows not that it is enslaved until, and only when the Light of Christ breaks through the darkness.
B. It is good to learn about Jesus Christ, however the Christian LEARNS CHRIST.
1. That means we love Him more than anything else; we love and enjoy sweet fellowship with Him.
2. That means that we walk with Him and He with us (John 14:21, 23-24).
3. That means to live His life so others see Him within us.
II. THE CHRISTIAN “PUTS OFF” THE “OLD MAN” (vv. 21-23).
A. When Jesus delivers us from that life of sins condemnation and its stench;
1. The old stinky clothes of sin must be removed;
2. sometimes, however the Christian getting full of themselves rather than full of God, put the old clothes back on.
* Delving into the sewage of our sins, the stench hangs around again, and we wonder why God seems so far away, and we have started getting into the old, former way of life.
B. The people of Ephesus were known to be worshippers of Diana, and this made the Christian life a little difficult;
1. Every culture or society is difficult for the Christian life.
2. That is why we need Paul’s words to the Ephesians; thus to us as well.
C. Put them off… that is not what you learned Christ.
1. That old life must go – Put it off.
2. “Put off” that old garment spotted by the flesh.
3. Since the apostle is telling us “put off” that surely means that it is within our power, through the Spirit of God to do so.
D. There must be “renewing in the spirit of your mind” as well.
1. “Putting off” comes before renewing the mind.
2. The old stench of sin on those grave clothes blocks the fragrant scents of heaven and the glorious grace of God. (Col. 3:8-9)
III. THE CHRISTIAN “PUTS ON” THE “NEW MAN”.
A. That “new man” is made to be like God in His holiness, righteousness, and justice.
B. We are told by Paul nine times within his epistles to “Put on”…
1. In Romans 13:12 he writes, “Put on the armour of light…”
2. 1 Corinthians 15: 53 & 54 “Put on incorruption… ‘put on immortality” twice in these two verses;
3. In Galations 3:27 “put on Christ…”;
4. Ephesians 4:24 “Put on the new man…”
5. Ephesians 6:11 “Put on the whole armour of God…”
6. Colossians 3:10 “put on the new man…”
7. Colossians 3:12 “Put on… bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering”
8. Colossians 3:14 “Put on charity…”
C. Put on the life of Jesus Christ.
IV. THE CHRISTIAN “PUTS AWAY” LYING.
A. Lying is a means of deception.
1. Deception’s intent is to cover the truth, and reveals nothing except that the one lying, deceiving cannot be trusted.
2. Deception is a tool of the enemy.
B. The truth is precious among friends, neighbors, and practiced among them.
1. Sometimes truth hurts, however, it is a means of great peace, and to great peace.
2. Truth is the way to the knowing of God, and all knowledge needed knowing.
3. Truth is the way to strong faith, and new, rewarding fellowship.
C. Those who do truth come to Jesus.
1. John 3:21
2. John 3:36