The Beginning Of Months – Exodus 12:1-20
After having been in captivity as slaves to the Egyptians for over 400 years the people of God called Israel are about to begin anew as a nation of people, a holy nation, a separated nation unto God.
Throughout this chapter we will see pictures or types of our salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. Some of the types are types of Jesus Christ Himself; such as the lamb sacrificed, and the blood put on the door posts and the lintel, forming a cross.
I. PROMISE OF NEW BEGINNING OF MONTHS (vv. 1-3).
II. THE SUFFICIENCY OF THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB FOR THE FAMILY AND ALL WHO WILL BELIEVE (vv. 3-4).
III. THE PURITY, TIMING, AND UNITY ARE ESSENTIAL TO THE PROMISED SALVATION (vv. 5-6).
IV. THE DOOR, THE BITTER HERBS, THE FIRE, THE EATING, AND DONE WITH HASTE (vv. 7-12)
V. THE PASSOVER, THE FEAST OF UNLEAVENED BREAD, THE MEMORIAL FOR ALL GENERATIONS (vv. 13-20).
1. Are “New Beginnings” always good, or does it make a difference what it is? This is more a matter of personal opinion.
2. New Beginning in Christ Jesus is a life long and, an eternally good thing. True False
3. For Moses and ____________ this was to be the beginning of ______________ for them. (v. 2)
4. In the memorial of the Passover through our own day the blood is no longer applied to the door post. True False (vv. 3-4)
5. The ______________ without blemish, is a ________________ of the purity, cleanliness and perfection of Jesus Christ. (vv. 5-6).
6. To eat the flesh, with “loins girted”, “shoes on your feet”, and “staff in your hand” and to be done in haste… (vv. 7-12)
A. …shows us the urgency of the moment. B. …shows that there is some sort of problem in Moses’s thinking.
C. …shows that they were going to be sneaking out of Egypt. D. …shows that there is no truth to the phrase, “haste makes waste”.
7. The ____________ _____ ______________ _____________ is seven days in length and follows the LORD’s ________________. (vv. 13-20)
8. In this study we can see a few pictures of the work of Salvation through Jesus Christ…
A. Jesus Christ as the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29) B. The blood that atones for our sin (Hebrews 9:22; 1 John 1:7).
C. The blood on the door posts and lintel show us the cross (Philippians 2:8; Colossians 1:20) D. The unleavened bread speaks of the putting away of sin (Ephesians 4:31; 1 Corinthians 5:6-8: Galations 5:9)
ANSWERS: 1. Personal option; 2. True; 3. Israel, Months; 4. True; 5. lamb, picture; 6. A; 7. Feast of unleavened bread, Passover; 8. A, B, C, and D
-Tim A. Blankenship