Psalms – Singing Unto The LORD – Exodus 15:1-22
Moses, Aaron, and all the people of Israel have crossed the Red Sea. They crossed it on “dry ground” as it is repeated several times in chapter 14. At least four times it is written of “dry ground” or “dry land”. It is an important thing for God’s people to spend time in praise to Him, singing, glorifying the name of the One and only who is all wise, all powerful, all knowing, and all present. It is believed by some that Moses wrote other Psalms. Psalms 90-91 are often recognized as being written by Moses, and some believe that at least 90-95 were written by Moses.
We all must learn to not only praise Him and glorify Him when we see His mighty work(s), but even when we do not. He is worthy of praise, before the storm, in the storm and after the storm. Let us never forget to thank and praise the name of Him who does all things well.
I. THE SINGING BY MOSES AND THE PEOPLE UNTO THE LORD (v. 1).
II. THE SONG RECOGNIZES AND GIVES GLORY TO GOD FOR THE VICTORY (vv. 1-5).
III. THE VICTORY IS GOD’S OVER THOSE WHO ARE HARD HEARTED AGAINST THE LORD (vv. 6-10).
IV. THE POWER OF GOD OVER THE ENEMY TO THEIR OWN DESTRUCTION (vv. 11-13).
V. THE SURROUNDING NATIONS WILL FEAR GOD AND HIS PEOPLE BE ESTABLISHED IN THE LAND (vv. 14-19).
VI. THE SONG OF MIRIAM THE PROPHETESS (vv. 20-22).
Study Questions –
1. There are no other songs, written by Moses, recorded in the Bible. True False
2. The Song of Moses was sang by the ______________ ______ _____________. (v. 1)
3. In verse one there is a vivid picture of God picking up the __________________ army and _____________ them into the Red Sea. (v. 1)
4. We can learn from this event and the words of Moses’ song that it is unwise to rise against God, because… (v. 7)
A. He will bless you for it. B. Nothing will happen.
C. A, B, & D D. It will lead to destruction.
5. There is no other god like Jehovah [YaHWeH], and He is holy, righteous, and Just. True False (vv. 11-13)
6. The news of the _________________ _______________ destruction will put the __________ of God into the people. (vv. 14-19)
7. There is emphasis once again of ___________ ___________ for the way of the children of Israel. (v. 19)
8. Miriam is a ________________ according to Scripture and is mentioned by _____________ as one of the leaders. (vv. 20-22; Numbers 12:2; Micah 6:4)
-Tim A. Blankenship
1. False; 2. children of Israel; 3. Egyptian, throwing; 4. D; 5. True; 6. Egyptian army’s; 7. dry land; 8. prophetess, Micah