Bitter Water In The Journey – Exodus 15:22-27
Delivered from Egypt and her army, by crossing the Red Sea they have sang a song, the Song of Moses, and the Song of Miriam. In the six verses of this study we see they have gone from praising and singing to complaining in just about three short days.
The wonders and glories of God have been seen by the eyes of the Israelites, then with their first trial they become bitter. Water is a symbol of life, and it is life giving. Without water there can no one or thing live.
I. GONE THREE DAYS BUT FIND NO WATER (v. 22).
II. FINDING WATER THEY DISCOVER THAT IT IS BITTER – UNDRINKABLE (v. 23).
III. BITTER CIRCUMSTANCES [WATER] LED TO BITTER COMPLAINING (v. 24).
IV. MOSES CRIES OUT TO GOD IN PRAYER, AND GOD SHOWS HIM A TREE (v. 25).
V. THE LORD GIVES A PROMISE OF PROTECTION FROM DISEASE TO THE PEOPLE (v. 26).
VI. THE TRAIL OF BITTERNESS LED TO A PLACE OF BLESSING (v. 27).
Study Questions –
1. Who was leading the children when they came to the place Marah [bitter] waters?
A. Moses. B. The LORD in the pillar of cloud and fire.
C. Pharoah. D. The will of the people.
2. It took only three days for the Israelite people to foget the greatness and power of God. (v. 22) True False
3. When the people of Israel were led to ____________ they discovered it was _______________. (v. 23)
4. Because of the bitter water they began to praise and thank the LORD for His goodness. (v. 24) True False
5. When the people had complained about it they complained against… (v. 24)
A. The land. B. Pharoah of Egypt.
C. Moses D. None of these
6. Moses did as all __________ ________________ should do and cried out to the _____________ . (v. 25)
7. Verse 25 tells us that the tree is a picture of Jesus and the cross. True False
8. When Moses cast the _____________ into the water the water was made _____________ . (v. 25)
9. The LORD promises to keep the diseases of Egypt from the people if they will… (v. 26)
A. …live like the Egyptians. B. …conquer every enemy.
C. …live without complaint D. …heed the voice of the LORD and do what is right.
10. The LORD led them to a place where there was ______________ ____________ of water and palm trees numbering ____________ .
-Tim A. Blankenship
1. B; 2. True; 3. water, bitter; 4. False; 5. Moses; 6. God’s people, LORD; 7. False; 8. tree, sweet; 9. D; 10. twelve wells, seventy