FROM DELIVERANCE TO GLORY
The Justness of God – Exodus 21 – 23:19
This study is a little longer than usual, but I believe you will see why. We see in these chapters the “Justness of God” and can know that He is just in His dealings with mankind. We live in a world that is not always just or fair. When was the last time you heard someone say, “That’s not fair” or something similar? We can know that God is just, therefore, God can be trusted to always do the right, the fair, and the just thing; and we will do well to follow His instructions and example.
In this study we look at different laws. Laws concerning servants, slaves, children, animals, personal liability in injurious events, etc.
I. LAWS CONCERNING SERVANTS OF BRETHREN (vv. 1-11).
II. LAWS CONCERNING A NEIGHBOR’S UNTIMELY DEATH (vv. 12-36).
III. LAWS CONCERNING THEFT (22:1-15).
IV. LAWS CONCERNING FORNICATION (vv. 16-24).
V. LAWS CONCERNING LENDING AND INTEREST (vv. 25-31).
VI. LAWS CONCERNING SLANDER (23:1-8).
VII. LAWS CONCERNING THE REST OF THE LAND (vv. 9-19).
Study Questions –
1. The Hebrew servant was to go free after serving ____________ years. (21:1-2)
2. If one man kills another then the penalty is _______________; if a man kills another __________________, there is a place of safety in which to flee. (21:12-36)
3. Respect for others _______________ is in the laws of verses 1-15; and making _____________________ when loss has been caused to the neighbor. (22:1-15)
4. Respect for and expectations for the purity of others is ___________________ of ____________ ______________ . (vv. 16-24)
5. The people of _____________ were not to be like _______________ _______________ or to charge interest to the poor of the land. (vv. 25-31)
6. God’s people are to always be _________________, and speak truthfully concerning their __________________ , their character, and property. (23:1-8)
7. Why would God give commandment that the land receive rest after every sixth year? Discuss.
-Tim A. Blankenship
1. six; 2. death, accidentally; 3. property, restitution; 4. commanded, God’s people; 5. God, money lenders; 6. just, neighbors; 7. Discussion.