FROM DELIVERANCE TO GLORY
My Name Is In Him – Exodus 23:20-33
Within the children of Israel God sends “His Angel”. There are some who disagree, but this Angel is most likely a preincarnate presence of Jesus Christ. If I am wrong I am in a good company of many who are. It is great to know that within every Christian we have the Spirit of God of which can be said the same as said for the presence of this Angel in Israel.
Because of the unbelief they display at Kadeshbarnea the Israelites are to wander in this wilderness for a period of forty years. They will need this Angel. The born again child of God also needs the Holy Spirit within for our journey through this world.
I. THE MESSENGER WITH THE NAME OF GOD (vv. 20-21).
II. THE MESSENGER TO HEED AND OBEY FOR BLESSING (vv. 22-25).
III. THE MESSENGER WHO WILL CAUSE FEAR IN THE HEARTS OF YOUR ENEMY (vv. 26-33).
Study Questions –
1. It is believed by many that the Angel (of verses 21 and 22) is a preincarnate manifestation of Christ Jesus. True False
2. This _______________, when seen as Jesus Christ, can also be seen as the __________ ______________ within the heart of the Christian.
3. To have the name of God “In him” would be significant to having…
A. Power. B. Rule.
C. Sovereignty. D. All the above.
4. This Messenger is one the children of Israel was to __________________. (vv. 21-25)
5. God gives promise to Israel for families, lands, and victory over ____________________ . (vv. 26-30).
6. The promise of Israel’s land was from the Red Sea; the __________________ Sea, and to the ___________________ River. (v. 31)
7. The _______________ is to be driven out by the power of the __________________ with the name of God. (vv. 31b-33)
8. There are three “My” statements by God in the previous verses: “My name”; ___________ Angel; and My ___________ . (vss. 21, 23, 27)
-Tim A. Blankenship
1. True; 2. Angel/Messenger; 3. D; 4. obey; 5. enemies; 6. Mediterranean, Euphrates; 7. enemy, Messenger/Angel; 8. Mine, fear.