The Government To Which Christians Submit
1 Peter 2:13-17
1. Think about the Government during Peter’s time; most of the world was ruled by Rome.
2. Think about to Whom we are to first submit (James 4:7-8)
3. The Government leaders we submit to.
4. Christians are to give the world a good and godly example – that of Jesus Christ.
5. Respecting all people and loving the brethren in Christ.
I. PUT YOURSELF UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF YOUR COMMANDER (v. 13).
II. OUR FIRST SUBMISSION IS TO GOD; THEN WE SUBMIT TO GOVERNMENT IN THE LORD (v. 14).
III. THE PURPOSE OF A RIGHTEOUS GOVERNMENT – TO PUNISH EVIL, AND REWARD GOOD (v. 14).
IV. THE WITNESS AND TESTIMONY OF THE SUBMISSIVE, FAITHFUL CHRISTIAN (vv. 15-16).
V. HOLD PEOPLE IN HIGH ESTEEM; LOVE BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST (v. 17).
i. If we consider the time for Peter’s writing this, then we have much to ask forgiveness, and seek renewal with God and our Government.
ii. We have a responsibility to submit to God, obey His commands, His Word, and Christ; then we are to obey and submit to government, and its officials as they do the righteous will of God.
iii. Live a life that is Christ-like, glorifying Christ; not politics, politicians, lobbies, religious groups, or lodges.
iv. Always hold people; even those you disagree with; in high esteem – see them as better than yourself; and always, always, always love the brotherhood as Christ loves you.
v. The government to which the Christian is to submit is the government which we are presently under today, tomorrow or in the next decade.
-Tim A. Blankenship