The times of the last days are difficult and savage, even full of demon activity; but the Church is to continue in ministering, even and especially in the worst of these days.
I. There has never been a more exciting time to be the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ, and a Spirit led Christian.
II. By the technological advances, moral decline, and pestilences; we know that the time is short.
III. The Church is the one and only place to which people in darkness can turn for light – unless we compromise the Word of God and our purpose.
IV. Rather than be afraid or ashamed we must determine to be bold, courageous, and even daring in our faith in Christ Jesus and the Word of God.
V. People are perishing all around us – Do we care?
WHAT ARE WE TO DO?
I. …IN TIMES OF FALSE MESSIAHS (vv. 1-5).
- Know and live for the True One.
- Proclaim the Truths of the True One.
- Reveal the character of the True in your personal living.
- Reveal the sacrifice of the True – the self-centeredness of the false.
II. …IN TIMES OF VIOLENCE, WAR, AND CATASTROPHIC OCCURRENCES (vv, 6-8).
- Offer individuals the peace of Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7).
- Stand for life, life in the womb; and out of the womb.
- Be strong and fearless when violence rages; be courageous yet loving in war time; be caring and helpful in times of catastrophe.
III. …IN TIMES OF PERSECUTION (v. 9).
- Do not be surprised by it (1 Peter 4:12).
- Understand who your enemy is (Ephesians 6:12). It is not people, but the devil and his legions. The people who oppose us are only pawns of our arch-enemy who is Satan, the devil.
- Remember your Lord’s encouragement (Matthew 5:10-12)
IV …IN TIMES OF BETRAYAL (v. 10).
- Stay true to Christ and His other disciple.
- Be determined to keep Christ as Lord of your life ( 1 Peter 3:15-16).
- Identify the offended (Matthew 13:3-7, 18-22).
- Believe in the saving of a lost soul (Hebrews 10:38-39).
V. …IN TIMES OF FALSE TEACHERS AND TEACHINGS (v. 11).
- Meditate on God’s truths (1 Timothy 4:15-16). Give yourself completely to the Truth. You will profit from it and others will see it at work in you.
- Continue in right doctrine.
- Be aware of your own sins and weaknesses.
- Expose all types of evil for what it is (Ephesians 5:10-11).
VI. …IN TIMES OF LAWLESSNESS AND LOVELESSNESS (v. 12).
- Let your life be a light to those in the darkness of iniquity.
- Let us love one another who are in the faith (John 13:35).
- We must love with the love of Christ our Lord. His love was obedient to the Father unto death. His love was sacrificial. His love is chastening. His love is never ending.
I. In these times we as Christians – the Church – must shine as a light of life eternal.
II. The Church must continue to proclaim the death, burial, and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.
III. We must understand that if we will live for Christ we will also suffer with Him.
IV. Some will fall away from the Truth; but we do not have to.
V. We must continue to teach the doctrines of the faith and live them.
VI. We must love and let others see the pure love of Jesus Christ shining in and through us.
Preached on October 6, 1996 by Tim A.