Take You A Lamb – Exodus 12:21-51
The final plague, and the finish of the captivity of Israel is looming over the land of Egypt. Excitement, expectation, and dread are in the hearts and minds of all the people of the land; even the Hebrews. The Hebrews have an assurance of deliverance; a promise from God; it involves the blood of a lamb for each family of Israel. The only hope for Egypt was to somehow be in a house with the blood at the time of the coming of the “death angel” for the first born.
I. SAFETY IN THE HOME WHERE THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB IS APPLIED (vv. 21-28).
II. NO SAFETY IN THE HOUSES OF EGYPT – THE WORLD (vv. 29-30).
III. DELIVERANCE/SALVATION COMES TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN CAPTIVE (vv. 31-42).
IV. REMEMBRANCE ORDAINED FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD (vv. 43-51).
STUDY QUESTIONS –
1. With the ____________ on the door post and lintel, the ____________ were not to go outside the door of their homes, “until the morning” (vv. 21-22).
2. For some Christians concerning the “bunch of hyssop” was considered to be three stalks, and allegorically pictured the Trinity. True False (v. 22)
3. This new ordinance of _________ ___________________ was to be an annual celebration for the Hebrew people (vv. 23-28).
4. What time of day was it when the LORD smote all the first born of Egypt? (vv. 29-30)
A. Noon. B. Mid morning.
C. Midnight D. It was exactly 3 p.m.
5. The _________________ _________ __________________ obeyed the word of Moses. (vv. 31-36)
6. There were about 600,000 men, beside children who went out of Egypt that night. True False (v. 37)
7. The _____________ ______________________ was probably Egyptians, other captives who also wanted to go along. (v. 38).
8. How long had God told Abraham the people would be captive in a foreign land (Genesis 15:13-14)? ____________ How long does our text in Exodus reveal
that they were in Egypt? _______________. (vv. 40-41).
9. There is deliverance/_____________, and safety in the home that is covered by the blood of the Lamb. (vv. 42-51).
-Tim A. Blankenship
ANSWERS – 1) blood, people; 2) True; 3) The Passover; 4) C – midnight; 5) children of Israel; 6) True; 7) mixed multitude; 8 ) 400, 430; 9) salvation