The LORD Went Before… – Exodus 13:1-22
They are gathered, ready to leave. They have the Pharoah’s commandment to leave; along with that certain desire of the whole people of Egypt. The first born of Egypt have died. The other nine plagues have ruined their land, and home. God in His grace has protected the people of Israel from all these plagues on the land of Egypt, and this plague of death on the first born. All were condemned to die of Israel, and of Egypt; only Israel was saved by the Blood of the Lamb. Egypt would not believe unto life.
In all of life’s endeavors the Christian can rest assured that the LORD went before us. He has been and is where we have not yet been. He has gone before making the way. He continues to do so.
I. A PEOPLE SET APART UNTO THE HAND OF THE LORD (vv. 1-2).
II. BY THE HAND OF THE LORD GOD KEPT HIS WORD, AND DELIVERED THEM FROM EGYPT (vv. 3-4).
III. TEACHING CHILDREN OF THE HISTORY OF THE PEOPLE, AND GOD’S PROPHECIES/PROMISES (vv. 5- 10).
IV. REMINDER OF THE STRENGTH OF GOD’S HAND THAT WENT BEFORE (vv. 11-16)
V. GOD’S PROTECTION, PROVIDENCE AND POWER DISPLAYED DAILY BY THE PILLAR OF CLOUD AND FIRE (vv. 17-22).
Study Questions –
1. The first born was to be ____________ ________________ unto the LORD. (vv. 1-2).
2. It was by the strength of their minds and will that Israel came forth out of Egypt. True False (v. 3)
3. The idea of having no leaven in the house, and eating unleavened bread was because… (vv. 3-4)
A. They needed to leave in haste. B. There was no room for puffiness or pride in their hearts.
C. They were to put sin out of their lives and their homes D. A, B, and C
4. The month Abib is also known in Scripture as the month Nisan. True False (v. 4; Nehemiah 2:1; Esther 3:7)
5. It was by these ___________________ that Israel was to pass on the history of Israel’s departure from Egypt. It is also by ________________ and _________________ that the Christian is educate our children. (vv. 5-16)
6. God did not lead the people of Israel, delivered from Egypt, by way of the Philistines due to the fact… (v. 17)
A. …that it would make the way too short in duration. B. …they would see war and repent of their way, and return to Egypt.
C. …that they might have too good a time on the journey. D. …that none of these really fit the question.
7. What are some of the reasons that Moses would take the time to get the bones of Joseph? (v. 19: Genesis 50:24-26)
8. The “pillar of cloud” and the “Pillar of fire” never left the presence of the people of Israel during their desert journeys. True False (vv. 20-22)
-Tim A. Blankenship
1) set apart; 2) False; 3) A, B, and C; 4) True; 5) remembrances, teaching, remembrances; 6) B; 7) name some; 8 ) True.