Bread and Meat – Exodus 16:1-36
The wonders, power and glory of God have been shown, displayed to the children of Israel, and now they have gone to complaining over the lack of “bread and meat”. They had been secure in Egypt with their “flesh pots” [pots of meat] and ate bread to fill them. Where there is stable work, and labor, and steady food that provides security. Now, that they had departed Egypt, there was no security, except in the LORD of Israel.
In every situation it is when we are down and out that we learn to trust the LORD for all our needs. When we have plenty of food, our clothing is continually being replaced, and the bank account is full we are comfortable. When we have bread and meat to eat we are full, satisfied, and sometimes happy; yet just about useless in the power of God.
In order to become faithful to God we need out of our places of comfort, security, and fullness; and in the hands of God. That is where Israel is now walking in the wilderness – In the hands of God
I. THERE WAS MURMURING IN THE CAMP OF ISRAEL BECAUSE THERE WAS NO BREAD OR MEAT (vv. 1-3).
II. THE LORD HEARD THEIR COMPLAINTS AND RESPONDED IN MERCY (vv. 4-12).
III. THE MEAT AND THE BREAD ARE PROVIDED BY THE LORD (vv. 13-21).
IV. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PEOPLE TO OBEY THE LORD AND FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS (vv. 22-31).
V. A TESTIMONY IS KEPT TO REMEMBER THE PROVISIONS OF THE LORD (vv. 32-36).
Study Questions –
1. The ___________ ______ __________ said, “It would have been better for us to _________ in _____________.” (v. 3)
2. This event took place approximately thirty days following their departure from Egypt. True False
3. The LORD in His mercy provides the people with _______________ and _______________ . (v. 4)
4. This provision of the LORD would show to the people that (v. 12)
A. Moses is their leader B. it was a mistake to leave Egypt.
C. ye shall know that I am the LORD your God. D. None of these
5. “It is manna” means “What is it”, because they didn’t know what it was. True False (v. 15).
6. When each _____________ gathered the supply of Manna they were to gather enough for that ____________. (vv. 16-19)
7. On the ___________ day the children of Israel were to gather ______________ for ___________ ____________ . (vv. 22-24)
8. The LORD had commanded that a portion of the manna…
A. be kept as a testimony of His greatness. B. be poured out on the ground.
C. be burned as a burnt offering to Him D. be revered and worshipped.
-Tim A. Blankenship
1. Children of Israel, die, Egypt; 2. True; 3. meat, bread; 4. C; 5. True; 6. family, day; 7. sixth, manna, two days; 8. A.