Is The LORD Among Us…? – Exodus 17:1-7
How soon God’s people forget, and especially so when we are mixed with the unbelieving. It seems that complaining is as contagious as an disease which has reached the pandemic stage. We have seen already in this study the affects of the “mixed multitude” (12:38). (These were people who were not committed the faith of YaHWeH [Jehovah], and the deliverance unto glory.
This is the first mention of the Rock within the book of Exodus, and this rock is Christ (1 Corinthians 10:4).
I. MORE LACK OF WATER PROBLEMS AND COMPLAINT (vv. 1-3).
II. MOSES PRAYS TO THE LORD, AND RECEIVES AN ANSWER (vv. 4-6).
III. QUESTIONING THE PRESENCE AND POWER (v. 7).
Study Questions –
1. How much alike are professing Christians of our day with the children of Israel wandering through the wilderness? Discussion
2. The _______________ against Moses was also against ________ _____________ . (vv. 1-3)
3. Moses was unafraid as the people accused him of neglecting their needs. True False (v. 4)
4. God told Moses, “Go on before the people, and take the ____________ ____ _____________, and thy _____________ .” (v. 5).
5. God promised Moses that He would… (v. 6)
A. …stand before him on the rock. B. …let him solve the problem himself.
C. …send them back to Egypt. C. …destroy the people.
6. From the rock would come plenty of water for the people to drink. True False (v. 6)
7. When Moses stood on the _____________ and then ____________ the ______________ he did so in the sight of the elders. (v. 6)
8. Let’s name some times, and ways in which we often miss the presence, power and glory of the LORD. Discussion
-Tim A. Blankenship
1. Discussion; 2. Complaints, the LORD; 3. False; 4. elders of Israel, Rod; 5. A; 6. True; 7. Rock, struck, Rock; 8. Discussion