Camped Before The Mountain – Exodus 19:1-8
When we began this study of Exodus the intention was to see it as a journey. A journey from captivity and slavery, deliverance from Egypt and slavery, the journey through the wilderness. In this journey we witness God as the Deliverer, Sustainer, Provider, and the covenant making God. From chapters 1 – 15:21 we have seen the captivity and God’s deliverance of Israel from that slavery. From chapters 15:22 – 18:27 we see the LORD as the Sustainer/Provider even a Banner for the children of Israel, providing bread in the wilderness, water for thrist, protection in war with victory; and the leader Moses receiving instruction on settling differences of the people.
In chapter 19 we begin the section on the covenants of God and the Law. That will continue through chapter 24; at which point we begin seeing the means of God’s reminding the people of His presence and glory chapters 25 – 40.
Journeys are for the purpose of moving from one place to another. They Israelites had left the place Rephidim, and gone to the wilderness of Sinai. The place of Mount Sinai; the mountain of God (Exodus 3:1; Ezekiel 28:14, 16). Horeb (3:1) is another name for Mount Sinai.
I. THE PLACE WHERE MOSES FIRST HEARD GOD SPEAK FROM THE BURNING BUSH (vv. 1-2).
II. THE PLACE WHERE ISRAEL CAMPED/STAYED FOR ABOUT ELEVEN MONTHS (v. 2 chapters 19- 40).
III. MOSES GOES TO THE MOUNT TO RECEIVE A WORD FROM GOD, INSTRUCTION, AND A MESSAGE FOR THE PEOPLE (vv. 3-6).
IV. MOSES DELIVERS GOD’S MESSAGE TO THE PEOPLE (vv. 7-8).
STUDY QUESTIONS –
1. Horeb was the original place where Moses first met God at the _____________ ______________. (vv. 1-2)
2. The “Wilderness of Sinai” is the location of… (vv. 1-2; 3:1)
A. …Mount Hermon. B. …Mount Carmel.
C. …Mount Sinai. D. …Both A and C are correct.
edit for #2 A. Mount Hermon should be Mount Horeb.
3. The children of Israel stayed at ______________ ____________ for ______________ months. (v. 2; Numbers10:11)
4. Moses went up to the God, and the LORD called Moses from the mountain. True False (v. 3)
5. “Eagles wings” is a ________________ for the delivering, protecting, ____________ power of God. (v. 4; Deuteronomy 32:11-12).
6. Under covenant with God Israel would be a “treasure” and a kingdom of “priests”, a _____________ ______________. (vv. 5-8)
-Tim A. Blankenship
ANSWERS – 1. burning bush; 2. D; 3. Mount Sinai, eleven; 4. True; 5. Metaphor; 6. holy nation