FROM DELIVERANCE TO GLORY
God And His People – Exodus 20:1-8
There is an assumption among scholars of Biblical and world history that Moses and Israel received the ten commandments from cultures and people around them. If we belive the Bible to be the Word of God we can reach no other conclusion than that that assumption is not true. We are told in this text that “God spoke all these words…” (v. 1).
The Ten Commandments are the commandments of our God. He spoke them from the mountain, to Moses and to the people of Israel. These commandments are given us for direction, protection, and as a “school master” to bring us to Christ (Galations 3:24).
These first four commandments are directly related to our relationship and fellowship with God. The final six are related to our relationship and fellowship with our fellow man – our neighbor.
I. THERE ARE NO OTHER GODS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD (vv. 1-3).
II. THERE IS NO IMAGE THAT CAN TAKE THE PLACE OF GOD (vv. 4-6).
III. THE NAME OF GOD IS HOLY; USE IT REVERENTLY (v. 7).
IV. GIVE ONE DAY A WEEK FOR DEVOTED WORSHIP AND MEDITATION ON GOD’S WORD (v. 8).
Study Questions –
1. The __________ ____________ reminds us that He brought the people out of ______________. (vv. 1-2).
2. God is the one who has given us the Ten Commandments. True False (v. 1).
3. Was God telling the people, “It’s okay to have other gods as long as you put me first” ? Discuss (v. 3).
4. The _____________ __________________ tells us to make no ______________ ________________. (v. 4-6).
5. To make any image for _________________ is to make a __________________ of God, and that violates the commandments.
6. The second commandment does not censure artistic endeavors. True False
7. God’s name is ______________ and should be used in great reverence. (v. 7)
8. God created the heavens and the earth in six days and… (v. 8 )
A. …then left it all in the hands of mankind. B. …rested on the seventh day.
C. …then He gave up. D. ..then He destroyed it all.
9. Why do most Christians reserve Sunday (The first day of the week) as the day of rest and worship?
(Matthew 28:1-4; Mark 16:1-8; Luke 24:1-7; John 20:1-10)
-Tim A. Blankenship
1. LORD God, Egypt; 2. True; 3. Discussion; 4. second commandment, graven image; 5. worship, representation; 6. True; 7. holy; 8. B; 9. Discussion