Submission To GOD
1. Submission – a word not often spoken, believed, or practiced as it should be – but often condemned, and many think it refers only to the female gender.
2. Resistance – often used in rebellion against moral teaching, but rarely; in our society are we told to resist evil.
3. Draw near to God – the only means by which we can truly know Him.
4. Clean hands to do the work of the LORD.
5. Purified hearts are the only means of seeing God.
I. SUBMIT TO THE ONE OF HIGHEST AUTHORITY IN THE UNIVERSE (v. 7).
II. RESIST THE ONE WHOSE PURPOSE IS TO DESTROY ANYTHING SUBMITTED TO GOD (v. 7).
III. DRAWING NEAR TO GOD; HE DRAWS NEAR TO YOU; AND THE DEVIL FLEES (v. 8).
IV. CLEAN HANDS TO ENTER INTO THE PRESENCE OF GOD TO DO THE WORK OF THE LORD (v. 8; Psalm 15; Exodus 38:8).
V. PURIFYING OUR HEARTS – THE INNER THOUGHTS, MOTIVES, DESIRES (v. 8; Matthew 5:8).
i. The only One worthy of our submission, praise, honor and glory is the Creator of the universe – The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
ii. Resistance of the devil and his lies, deceptions, and evil; withstanding him, through the cross of Christ will send him running.
iii. It is the wonderful grace of God that causes Him to draw near to us, and us to Him.
iv. Clean your hands in the word of God on a daily basis – Read it, study it, hear it, obey it, and apply it.
v. Keep your thoughts, motives and desires on the things which will glorify the LORD (Jeremiah 4:4; 1 Timothy 1:5; 1 Peter 1:22).
-Tim A. Blankenship