I Will Not Let Thee Go…
1. Jacob was born grasping the heel of his brother Esau (25:25-26).
2. Jacob’s name means “supplanter” which is a deceiver, schemer plotting and planning his own course in life (27:36)
3. Jacob runs to Padanaram to escape from possible death by Esau’s hand (27:41- 28:2).
4. Jacob meets God for the first time at Luz; he names the place Bethel [House of God] (28:10-22).
5. He gets to Laban’s home, meets Rachel, is in a fight with Laban for twenty years for what is his.
6. God calls Jacob to return to Canaan (31:11-13).
7. Jacob fears meeting Esau; spends night wrestling with a man; earnestly contended for blessing; received blessing.
I. THE BATTLE WE FACE AND CONTINUES THROUGHOUT OUR LIVES (Eph. 6:10-12).
II. THERE ARE FEARS THAT WILL BE FACED IN THIS LIFE (Psalm 56:3, 11).
III. WE WILL BE CALLED ON TO CONFRONT WHO WE ARE; JUST AS JACOB DID (vv. 27-28).
IV. WHEN WE HAVE A HOLD ON GOD DO NOT LET HIM GOD WITHOUT HIS BLESSING.
V. KNOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN BEFORE THE FACE OF GOD (vv. 29-30).
VI. THERE WILL BE EVIDENCE OF YOUR BREAKING BEFORE GOD (vv. 31-32).
i. Face the battle of everyday life with faith that God will bring you through it.
ii. Recognize your fears, confess them, forsake them, and trust the One who fights your battle for you.
iii. Remember that God knows the ending as well as the beginning.
iv. Rejoice that God in His grace has brought us before His face.
v. Take the time each day to really spend time with God [wrestling] in prayer and His Word.
-Tim A. Blankenship