Reading today from Deuteronomy 33 – Joshua 2…
“And she said unto the men, ‘I know that the LORD hath given you the land, and that your terror is fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land faint because of you. For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red sea for you, when ye came out of Egypt; and what ye did unto the two kings of the Amorites, that were on the other side Jordan, Sihon and Og, whom ye utterly destroyed. And as soon as we had heard these things, our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the LORD your God, He is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath. Now therefore, I pray you, swear unto me by the LORD, since I have shewed you kindness, that ye will also shew kindness unto my father’s house, and give me a true token: and that ye will save alive my father, and my mother, and my brethren, and my sisters, and all that they have, and deliver our lives from death.'” Joshua 2:9-13 (KJB)
Joshua sent two men into Jericho to find out the heart and mind of the people of the land of Canaan. He sent two men of faith. He sent two men who believed that God had given them the land; not ifers and doubters.
The above verses are the testimony of one woman’s faith, and how the whole area was viewing these people of God who had been in the wilderness to the south and east for the past forty years wandering about seeming to be without direction. Yet God the LORD was with them, directing them, fulfilling His word and His will in their lives; bringing glory to His own name.
The power and the wonders of God’s work among, in, and around His people had made the journey that God intended. News travels quickly. The good news of God does as well when God’s people are living for God, believing His Word, and loving Him.
Notice Rahab’s testimony…
- She confesses the land is in terror because of God’s power among His people; knowing that the land is as good as in Israel’s possession because God has said so;
- She shares what they have heard of their deliverance from Egypt;
- She tells them of the hearts of the people of Jericho and surrounding areas that have “melted” – and we are shown that they keep the gates shut;
- She shares her testimony of personal faith by recognizing God as the Creator of heaven and earth;
- She calls on the LORD through the servants of the Living God for mercy and grace – not only for herself, but her whole family.
Because of Rahab’s faith she, and her family are spared death and destruction (Joshua 6:22-25). Rahab becomes a part of the lineage of the Messiah of Israel – Jesus Christ (Matthew 1:2-6).
Grace has been bought for all Adam’s race through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ; the Son of God, God the Son. It does not matter the life you have lived. Call on His name and He will hear you and deliver you from your sin, shame, and condemnation (Romans 10:13)