Deception, Damnation, and Deliverance
2 Peter 2:1-11
There are many false teachers and teachings going on in the world today. One of which is the one of “Faith” or faith in a “Higher power” or “Higher being” than ourselves. I don’t want to play down the power of genuine faith, however, it must be faith in someone; not just faith. The object of faith [genuine faith] is not open to one’s own understanding; it must be subject to the Scriptures.
On Friday October 09, 2009 a man by the name of Mitch Albom appeared on FOX & FRIENDS on the Fox News Channel speaking of his book, “Have A Little Faith”. In the interview he left me with the impression that and with great assumption that all will be well for those who have “Faith”; without directing it in any certain direction. My understanding from the interview was, “If one has ‘faith’ heaven is assured”.
This is the “Privily” or “Secret”, sneaky appearance of the “damnable heresies” Peter warns us of her in chapter 2 of 2 Peter.
I. AS THERE WERE FALSE PROPHETS IN THE TIME OF THE INSPIRATION OF SCRIPTURES – THERE HAS BEEN AND WILL BE FALSE TEACHERS IN THE CHURCH (vv. 1-3).
A. They will bring in by deceptive means heresies that dishonor Jesus Christ.
- Belittling the cross and the blood.
- Denying the deity and power of Christ.
B. They will bring in destruction to the people who will follow them.
- What we believe affects the lives we live.
- Even to the merchandising for profit of people following them (v. 3).
II. THERE WILL BE CERTAIN JUDGMENT FOR THOSE WHO LURE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THE TRUTH OF JESUS CHRIST (vv. 4-7).
A. God judged the angels who rebelled.
- Cast them out of heaven (Revelation 12:7-9; Isaiah 14:12-15; Ezekiel 28:12-17).
- Reserved unto everlasting judgment.
B. God judged the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha for their wickedness.
C. In these judgments He spared the godly.
- Noah built and ark at God’s command having “Found grace in the eyes of the LORD” (Genesis 6:8).
- Lot, called “Just” was vexed by the unrighteousness around him and was delivered (Genesis 19:15-16).
III. THE LORD CERTAINLY KNOWS HOW TO DELIVER THE GODLY “OUT OF TEMPTATIONS” (vv. 8-10).
A. The godly are the “righteous” in and through Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).
- Though Lot had a godly influence (Abraham) he had chosen to live among the ungodly (Genesis 13:10).
- He was also prayed for by Abraham, and given opportunity to leave by his being taken captive at one time (Genesis 14:1-16).
- He was evidently drawn by lusts and influenced by affluence and the seeming beauties of the world.
B. We, as Christians, are called, commanded “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world…” (1 John 2:15).
- “The world” is ‘Cosmos’ or “Orderly arrangement”.
- Holding it as a “treasure” to be gripped tightly.
C. Noah was delivered due to God’s favor – grace – so too with Lot.
- All the righteous are delivered by grace – God’s divine favor.
- Certainly not due to anything we have done.
IV. THE BELIEVER SUBMITS TO THE ORDINANCES OF CHRIST; NOT MISAPPROPRIATED BOLDNESS OF THE FALSE TEACHERS (v. 11).
A. We are told, by Scripture to respect and obey those who are in authority over us (Romans 13:1-4; Hebrews 13:7, 17; Jude 9).
B. We can with boldness, through Jesus Christ, approach “The throne of grace” (Hebrews 4:16), and with reverence and fear of God.
C. Submit to Christ as Lord and Savior.
-Tim A. Blankenship