Stand Still and Move Forward??? – Exodus 14:1-31
Many times in the events of one’s life; especially following the greatest event of one’s life; there will be something happen which causes us to question the veracity of what we have just done. The “children of Israel” had just been witnesses to the power of God in convincing Egypt and the Pharoah to let them leave the land. They are now standing, camping at the shore of the Red Sea, and are being speedily approached by the Egyptian army.
Questions, accusations, doubts, fears begin to flood their hearts and minds. They blame Moses. They blame God. Moses says, “Stand still…” (v. 13), in a moment God says, “Move forward” (v. 15). Which one is it? or could it be both?
I. THE DECEPTIONS OF A HARDENED HEART AND THE PURSUIT OF DEATH (vv. 1-9).
II. MURMURINGS OF THE PEOPLE, AND THE PROMISE OF GOD (10-14).
III. WITH THE SEA AT THEIR FRONT AND EGYPT AT THE REAR, GOD SAYS “GO FORWARD” (vv. 15-20).
IV. GOD DIVIDES THE SEA FOR CROSSING, DRYS UP THE SEA BED, AND PROTECTS ISRAEL (vv. 21-25).
V. ISRAEL AND EGYPT BOTH WITNESS THE GREAT WORK OF GOD (vv. 26-31).
Study Questions –
1. With the _____________ of Pharoah’s heart he will be convinced that Israel is lost in the _______________ (vv. 1-4)
2. Through this event at the Red Sea Egypt would know that “God is the LORD”. True False (v. 4).
3. When the people hear of the army of Egypt approaching they begin to murmur and accuse Moses, and Moses replies… (
A. We better run and hide. B. There is no time to do anything except to fight.
C. Fear ye not, stand still and see the salvation of the LORD. D. A, B, and C.
4. When Moses has seen the army approaching whom does he say will fight for Israel? (v. 14)
5. Finish this statement: “Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, ________ ________ _____ _____________…” (v. 15)
6. The source of ___________ for Israel became the source of _____________ for the Egyptians (v. 20)
7. As the children of Israel crossed the sea through the mud, the water was a wall to them on the right and the left. True False (vv. 22, 29).
8. Because of this event at the Red Sea the children of Israel believed the LORD and Moses. True False (v. 31)
-Tim A. Blankenship
1. hardness, wilderness; 2. True; 3. C; 4. The LORD; 5. that they go forward; 6. light, darkness; 7. False; 8. True