The Peril Of A Grudge – Exodus 17:8-16
At this chapter it has been many centuries, decades, years, and family generations since the grudge Esau held against Jacob started brewing. It has passed on down from one generation to the next, and has seemed to get even hotter. Knowing that they have come out of Egypt they attack Israel without provocation. The mere existence of Israel seems to be all the provocation some people need.
As God’s people Israel, and the followers of Jesus Christ go on their journey we will find people who hold a grudge, and sometimes for no apparent reason that we know. How do we handle those who hate us, and hate God?
We see THE PERIL OF A GRUDGE by the hatred that is shown for Israel by these Amalekites, and their attacking . We have in this study the introduction of Joshua, and he becomes the one who follows Moses as the leader of Israel and will lead them into the Promised Land.
I. AN ENEMY ATTACKS FROM WHAT SEEMS TO BE A FAMILY GRUDGE (v. 8).
II. GOD BEGINS TRAINING JOSHUA FOR THE JOURNEY AHEAD (vv. 9-11).
III. THE ROD OF GOD AND THE HANDS OF MOSES (vv. 12-13).
IV. REMEMBERING THE WORD, WORKS AND POWER OF GOD (vv. 14-16).
Study Questions –
1. The name “Joshua” means… (v. 9)
A. …The LORD is Salvation. B. …the Lord forgets.
C. …Jehovah saves. D. Both A and C.
2. __________________ led, and fought in the battle against ________________ while Moses, Aaron and Hur were stood on top of a hill. (vv. 9-11)
3. When Moses’ hands grew heavy Joshua had to stop fighting until he could raise his hands again. True False (v. 11)
4. Because of the aid of ________________ and ________________ Moses was able to keep his arms and the rod of God raised.
5. Because of the __________________ of God and the faith of the _______________ the battle against Amalek was won. (v. 13)
6. Writing down and keeping the memories of the work of God in life is always a great thing to do. True False (v. 14)
7. “The LORD is my banner” is the meaning of the title Jehovahnissi, and shows the LORD as being the “Standard of His people”. True False (v. 15)
8. Because of the grudge of ______________ people the _________________ would be destroyed. (v. 16)
-Tim A. Blankenship
1. Both A and C; 2. Joshua, Amalek; 3. False; 4. Aaron, Hur; 5. faithfulness, leaders; 6. True; 7. True; 8. Esau’s, Amalekites.