…When The Challenge Seems Impossible
purpose – To display the need for Christians to be sober, courageous, and bold enough to seek the Lord’s guidance, and information from Him in difficult situations and circumstances.
In this the second chapter of Daniel we find that Nebuchadnezzar is a man of troubled dreams. What we will find later, by the power of God, through the prophet Daniel is that this is a dream related to the history of the Gentile nations throughout human history from Nebuchadnezzar until the appearing of Jesus Christ as King of kings and Lord of lord.
In this first message from chapter two we will see an enormous requirement put on the “wisemen” of Babylon. It is so impossible it leads the Chaldeans to respond that no one can give the dream, “…except the gods”. The enormous task was that, before they could interpret his dream they had to first, tell him his dream, and then he would know they were being truthful about its interpretation. Pretty smart of the king; at least I think so.
INTRODUCTION OUTLINE –
I. THE KING IS TROUBLED BY DREAMS (v. 1).
II. THE KING ASK FOR THE “WISEMEN” TO TELL HIM HIS DREAM THAT HE HAD DREAMED (vv. 2-9).
III. THE KING SENDS OUT A DECREE TO KILL ALL THE ‘WISEMEN’ (vv. 10-13).
IV. THE MAN OF GOD (DANIEL) SEEKS THE KINGS DELAY WHILE HE AND OTHERS PRAY (vv. 14-18).
V. GOD REVEALS THE DREAM AND ITS INTERPRETATION TO DANIEL (vv. 19-23).
I. TROUBLING DREAMS, FEARING WHAT MAY BE AHEAD (v. 1).
- “For in the multitude of dreams and many words there are also divers vanities: but fear thou God.” Ecclesiastes 5:7 (KJV)
II. WHEN THE SEEMING IMPOSSIBLE REQUIRES TRUSTWORTHY PEOPLE (vv. 2-13).
- “For, lo, he that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declareth unto man what is his thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is his name.” Amos 4:13 (KJV)
- “Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.” Psalms 139:2 (KJV)
III. THE TRUSTWORTHY ARE PEOPLE OF GOD AND ARE PRAYING PEOPLE, AND DEPEND ON ONE ANOTHERS BACKING (VV. 14-18).
- “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
IV. GOD OF THE IMPOSSIBLE REVEALS HIS SECRETS TO THOSE WHO LOVE HIM (vv. 19-23)
- “Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.” Amos 3:7 (KJV)
- “But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation. Thus shall ye say unto them, The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens. He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and hath stretched out the heavens by his discretion.” Jeremiah 10:10-12 (KJV)
i. Know that the LORD is Lord of all dreams and knows your heart and your fears and dreads.
ii. Believe the LORD when it seems as though the task, or challenge ahead of you seems impossible, and know that God takes care of you.
iii. When you are having trouble pray and ask others to join you in prayer; know also that when your community or nation is in dire straits that prayer is a cry to God for His action.
iv. Know that what lies ahead is revealed to us by God in His written Word through faith in His Living Word, and Holy Son Jesus Christ.
-Tim A. Blankenship