The Glory Of God On The Mountain – Exodus 19:9-25
On the mountain of God the people get a glimpse of the glory of their Deliverer and Savior. God appears to them in a “thick cloud” shrouding His glory so as not to slay them. God is gracious to we human beings who were created by Him, for His glory; yet sin has separated us from Him and His glory. Because of our sin we are protected from His glory by the cross of Christ and even given the holiness, righteousness, and glory of God through Him.
God calls for Moses to “sanctify” the people, and on the third day the LORD would show Himself to them. Their view of God will be limited by “bounds” and the cloud covering the glory of God. We can rejoice that neither is so of our relationship with God today, through Christ Jesus.
I. GETTING READY TO MEET THE LORD (vv. 9-15).
II. THE AWESOME PRESENCE OF GOD ON THE MOUNT (vv. 16-25).
STUDY QUESTIONS –
1. Moses went to the LORD and told Him all the ___________ of the people. (v. 9)
2. In the text it appears that sanctification is a work of the people. True False (vv. 10-11)
3. The LORD would veil His _____________ in a ____________ _____________. (vv. 9, 16)
4. On the third day there was thunders, lightenings, a thick cloud… (v. 16)
A. …and great light. B. …and an enemy army.
C. …and a brand new Lamborghini. D. …and a loud trumpet.
5. After God had called Moses __________ to the top of the mount; He called him to _________ __________ to the people. (vv. 20-21)
6. What are some of the possible reasons for God’s forbidding the people to approach Him and His glory closely? Discuss. (vv. 22-25)
7. Moses, in obedience to the LORD went down and ______________ unto the ______________. (v. 25)
-Tim A. Blankenship
ANSWERS – 1. words; 2. True; 3. glory, thick cloud; 4. D; 5. up, go down; 6. Open for discussion; 7. spoke, people.